STEM PROGRAM ACTIVITIES Details
Students will be introduced to the popular educational programming language known as Scratch, a product of the MIT Media Lab. With Scratch, participants will program interactive stories, games, and animations — and share their creations with others in the online community. We also use Scratch to control our LEGO robotics.
Scratch helps young people learn to think creatively, reason systematically, and work collaboratively — essential skills for life in the 21st century.
LEGO MINDSTORMS EV3
Participants will use LEGO Mindstorms EV3 to build, program, and test their solutions based on real-life robotics technology. The LEGO Mindstorm EV3 Intelligent Brick is a powerful computer that makes it possible to control motors and collect sensor feedback. Working in small groups of 2-3, kids are encouraged to brainstorm in order to find creative solutions to problems and then develop them through a process of selecting, building, testing, and evaluating. This is an excellent way of teaching them to communicate and cooperate. It also provides hands-on experience with the fundamentals of robotics (sensors, motors, and intelligent units).
Discover another world — 3D printing! Dream of, design and print creations on our 3D printer. Participants will learn the ins and outs of the 3D printer, learn to design in TinkerCad, and take home their very own printed object.
We will also use games and applications found on our iPads to control high tech programmable toys such as Sphero SPRK. The goals are to have fun, be safe, and explore the Engineering Design Process through the interactive technology and equipment at the Lab!
KEY LEARNING CONNECTIONS
- Learn and use engineering design process skills
- Understand and use mathematical skills and concepts, such as proportions and ratios, graphing data, and multi-digit computation
- Apply knowledge of science concepts, such as speed and power, motion and stability, and forces and interactions
- Understand the core concepts of technology
- Understand the role of troubleshooting, invention and innovation, and experimentation in problem solving
- Demonstrate creative thinking and construct knowledge using technology
- Use digital media and environments to communicate and work collaboratively